Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, April 3, 2009

ummm I'm not ready

I had an ultrasound on Wednesday to see how the baby is growing and check on her position... well, she's small. Apparently she's measuring 1.5-3 weeks smaller than where she should be given I'm 37.5 weeks. So that's not great news. I guess the good news is that they also looked at the circulation between the baby and placenta and that looks good- but for some reason she's just not getting enough nutrition from the placenta. So b/c of her size and the fact that she's not growing as she should be, the c-section has been moved up from 4/18 to 4/9- yes, that's right, next Thursday. The dr doesn't think things will progress to week 40 and he just wants her to get to 38 weeks so that her lungs will have a better chance of being mature.

They also had me hooked up to the fetal monitor to check her heart rate and to see if I was having contractions. She had a couple of dips in her heart rate, but nothing bad. And apparently I was having contractions, although I couldn't feel them. I guess there was nothing too concerning going on or I would have been admitted right then and there!

And I've been put on bed rest- not complete, but partial- whatever that means. So I thought I had next week to prepare for being gone for the rest of the school year, um nope. Good thing I brought my things home with me before break- just in case. So I guess I'll be pulling some things together from home and emailing them to my poor sub. I hope she doesn't have a heart attack when she finds out she's on her own on Monday. People were teasing me before break about not coming back- I guess they were right!

I think I'm in shock about how quickly things are moving. Mostly I'm just concerned for the baby. I hate that things aren't right with her and that for some reason she's not growing as she should be. Maybe the ultrasound measurements are just really off and we'll have had a big scare for nothing. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

S is kind of freaking out. I don't think he knows what to do! Plus we still have a bunch of things to get for the baby- currently she has no mattress! So we'll see how much we can get done this weekend.

Please send good thoughts to the baby to keep her growing!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Em, I'm sorry! You and the baby are in my prayers. I am hoping that those measurements are inaccurate (aren't they notoriously so?) but I'll be praying for her to be healthy and that you can enjoy your last few days of non-parenthood without too much worry...

    And mattress? She doesn't need a mattress! Start her out tough! :) Just kidding...obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are in my thoughts. Hang in there and try to be relaxed (easier said, I'm sure). Neonatal medicine is AMAZING in what they can do.

    ReplyDelete